Monday, January 30, 2012

Save your dignity and ignore this


As a woman and as a vegetarian, this makes me sick. First of all, let's look at just the text. I think Peta really was trying to make a literal "save the whales" statement, but if so, they've failed. "Lose the blubber: go vegetarian." Vegetarianism does not make you thin or even healthy in some cases. And I can't say I know a lot of people who eat meat and go fishing for whales to satisfy their protein needs. Setting aside the Peta and animal aspect, just the message of "lose the blubber" is offensive. It's another weight loss advertisement, pure and simple. That's why I say Peta failed if they were actually trying to make a political statement. Now, add in the image to the mix. Err.. what blubber? That could be any woman. That could be a painting of me. So, not only is there a giant billboard telling women that they are fat because of their diet of choice, there is a giant painting that is distorted so that it doesn't even attempt to be realistic telling women that they should be self-conscious in a bikini because they look like a whale. I could go on and on about how badly I want to punch everyone associated with this advertisement in their necks, but I will stop. I'm appalled.

No comments:

Post a Comment