Thursday, March 8, 2012

Sad Day For Austinites


When I was a little girl, there was an Albertson's grocery store up the road from my house. A man started living out of a trailer in the parking lot there, and we'd see him in all sorts of risque and/or women's clothing: wedding dresses, bikinis, so on and so forth, always with some sweet high heel pumps. My friends and I dubbed him "Bikini Man." His real name was Leslie Cochran, and he became an Austin legend. He was at every event that we proudly held as Keeping Austin Weird. He kept Austin weird. He even ran for mayor once. If you saw him on the street, he'd say hi to you, he'd take a picture with you, he was everyone's best friend.
He's recently had some health issues, and he had to have brain surgery last week.
Today he died from complications with the surgery.

Austin is a lot less weird without you, Leslie Cochran.
Rest in peace, my hometown cross-dresser. You will be missed.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry about your friend. This is a very thoughtful tribute. It looks like Leslie did his part to keep Austin weird! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete